Lou Ann VanStraten
Ronald Peters VanStraten
Jessica Ruth Baumgartener
Lillian (Sister Mary Conrad) VanStraten
F, b. March 19, 1915, d. February 1, 2010
- Birth: Lillian (Sister Mary Conrad) VanStraten was born on March 19, 1915 in DePere, Brown Co, Wisconsin.
- Death: She died on February 1, 2010, at age 94, in Elm Grove, Waukesha Co, Wisconsin.
- Occupation: She was a School Sister of Notre Dame.
- Note: In the 1930s, large Catholic families were the norm, but the Van Straten family of eight children was far from normal. Of the eight, the six girls were "sandwiched" between the two boys, one on each end, and of those six, five became School Sisters of Notre Dame. Sister Mary Conrad was the fourth of the five girls to enter the convent.
Born in 1915 to Peter Van Straten and Louise DeCleene in DePere, Wisconsin, and baptized Lillian, she thrived on the hard farm work before and after the school day, but she also relished the family fun. "Though we may have had little," she wrote, "we had everything. We were loved."
After graduating from DePere High School in 1932, she told her mother about her desire to become a Notre Dame, evoking her mother's main concern, "Child, I hope you are not going because your three sisters have gone." Assuring her mother, Lillian entered the Candidature, and three years later was professed as Sister Mary Conrad.
This began her journey of 26 years as a grade school teacher, followed by 25 years of teaching math in high school. At three schools, she had the added duties of being the principal or assistant principal. In two of the mission communities, she was also the local leader. She carried her many responsibilities with characteristic intensity and drive, along with a concern for others that was bolstered by a deep trust in the power of prayer.
Sister Conrad's favorite quote was, "The seed of God is in us." Typical of her zeal and generosity to spread that seed, at age 74, she accepted a request to direct the RCIA program at St. Mary's Parish, Menasha, Wisconsin. Moving to a small parish house, she delighted in hosting small group sessions of adults, where her warm hospitality and joyful spirit made religion come alive.
She spent four more years as a volunteer in the RCIA program in Omro, Wisconsin, before retiring at Notre Dame of Elm Grove in 1997. There she joined her Sister sisters and tended her growing seeds until her death in 2010.
May Sister Mary Conrad be at rest in the peace of God.
Josephine (Sister Mary Louise) VanStraten
F, b. circa 1917, d. June 28, 2017
- Birth: Josephine (Sister Mary Louise) VanStraten was born circa 1917.
- Death: She died on June 28, 2017.
- Occupation: She was a School Sister of Notre Dame.
- Note: Born to Eternal Life June 28, 2017, age 100. Survived by nieces, nephews, dear friends and the SSND Community. Preceded in death her parents, five sisters and two brothers. A Wake Service will be celebrated Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at the Holy Family Chapel at Notre Dame of Elm Grove, 13105 Watertown Plank Rd. Friends may call Wednesday from 9:00 AM until the time of Service. In lieu of flowers, a donation to the School Sisters of Notre Dame Retirement Fund would be appreciated.
Wendell E Brown
James Leonard Brown
M, b. January 23, 1917, d. January 21, 2005
- Birth: James Leonard Brown was born on January 23, 1917.
- Death: He died on January 21, 2005, at age 87, in Iowa.
Helen L Martin
F, b. July 18, 1916
- Birth: Helen L Martin was born on July 18, 1916.
M, b. October 8, 1881, d. September 7, 1954
- Birth: Emerson Brown was born on October 8, 1881.
- Marriage: He and Annis Belle McDowell were married on February 6, 1907.
- Death: Emerson Brown died on September 7, 1954, at age 72, in Iowa.
Annis Belle McDowell
F, b. September 13, 1885, d. August 5, 1952
- Birth: Annis Belle McDowell was born on September 13, 1885 in Iowa.
- Marriage: She and Emerson Brown were married on February 6, 1907.
- Death: Annis Belle McDowell died on August 5, 1952, at age 66, in Iowa.
M, b. April 7, 1848, d. August 15, 1907
- Birth: William Brown was born on April 7, 1848.
- Death: He died on August 15, 1907, at age 59.
Mary Jane Hallowell
F, b. March 7, 1845, d. September 10, 1875
- Birth: Mary Jane Hallowell was born on March 7, 1845.
- Death: She died on September 10, 1875, at age 30.
M, b. January 18, 1809, d. December 24, 1895
- Birth: Reuben Hallowell was born on January 18, 1809 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co, Pennsylvania.
- Marriage: He and Abigail Brown were married on February 22, 1838 in Ohio.
- Death: Reuben Hallowell died on December 24, 1895, at age 86, in Denova, Henry Co, Iowa.
F, b. June 22, 1814, d. May 3, 1908
- Birth: Abigail Brown was born on June 22, 1814 in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- Marriage: She and Reuben Hallowell were married on February 22, 1838 in Ohio.
- Death: Abigail Brown died on May 3, 1908, at age 93, in Salem, Henry Co, Iowa.
M, b. 1776, d. August 8, 1871
Family: Jane Wells (b. December 22, 1787, d. May 29, 1843)
- Birth: Samuel Hallowell was born in 1776 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
- Marriage: He and Jane Wells were married on October 22, 1807 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co, Pennsylvania.
- Death: Samuel Hallowell died on August 8, 1871, at age ~95, in Morgan County, Ohio.
F, b. December 22, 1787, d. May 29, 1843
- Birth: Jane Wells was born on December 22, 1787 in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.
- Marriage: She and Samuel Hallowell were married on October 22, 1807 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co, Pennsylvania.
- Death: Jane Wells died on May 29, 1843, at age 55, in Morgan County, Ohio.
M, b. May 7, 1788, d. March 5, 1861
Family: Amy Butler (b. October 16, 1780, d. January 28, 1866)
- Birth: Benjamin Brown was born on May 7, 1788 in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- Marriage: He and Amy Butler were married on October 10, 1812.
- Death: Benjamin Brown died on March 5, 1861, at age 72.
F, b. October 16, 1780, d. January 28, 1866
- Birth: Amy Butler was born on October 16, 1780.
- Marriage: She and Benjamin Brown were married on October 10, 1812.
- Death: Amy Butler died on January 28, 1866, at age 85.
M, b. April 4, 1762, d. May 5, 1851
- Birth: Joseph Brown was born on April 4, 1762 in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
- Death: He died on May 5, 1851, at age 89, in New Garden, Chester co, Pennsylvania.
F, b. March 16, 1762, d. July 7, 1811
- Birth: Elizabeth Michener was born on March 16, 1762 in Plumsteadville, Bucks Co, Pennsylvania.
- Death: She died on July 7, 1811, at age 49.