Bagot of Branshall
M, b. circa 1090
- Birth: Bagot of Branshall was born circa 1090.
Bagot of Branshall
M, b. circa 1070, d. 1130
- Birth: Bagot of Branshall was born circa 1070.
- Death: He died in 1130.
Robert de Stafford
M, b. 1127, d. 1176
Family: Avice (b. circa 1127)
- Birth: Robert de Stafford was born in 1127 in Stafford, Staffordshire, England.
- Death: He died in 1176, at age ~49.
- Note: Nicholas, son of Robert, left issue Robert, his son and heir, who died in 22 year of Henry II (1176), leaving a son Robert, who died without issue and a daughter Millicent, who proved heir to her brother Robert and conveyed this honour to her husband, Hervey Bagot, who thereupon assuming the surname as well as title of Stafford became the progenitor of the succeeding barons of Stafford. Millicent de Stafford was thus 4th from the first Robert Stafford. (Kin of Mellcene Thurman Smith, page 382)
Robert de Stafford married Avice. He was Sheriff of Stafford from the 2nd to the end of the 6th year, inclusive, of King Henry II's reign, and in six years afterwards paid toward the marriage portion of the King's daughter 60 marks for 60 knights' fees. He performed a pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1176. He had sons Nicholas and Robert, who both died sine prole, and the feudal barony and lordships devolved upon their only sister and heiress, Millicent. (Kin of Mellcene Thurman Smith, page 623.)
F, b. circa 1127
- Birth: Avice was born circa 1127.
Nicholas de Stafford
M, b. circa 1075
- Birth: Nicholas de Stafford was born circa 1075 in Stone, Staffordshire, England.
F, b. circa 1075
- Birth: Maud Moolte was born circa 1075.
Robert de Stafford
M, b. circa 1036, d. August 1088
- Birth: Robert de Stafford was born circa 1036 in Tosny, Louviers, Eure, Normandy, France.
- Death: He died in August 1088 in Belvoir Castle, Leicestershire, England.
- Note: Robert and Nigel, younger sons of Roger de Tony, accompanied Duke William to England. Robert, at the time of the general survey, possessed near 150 lordships, whereof Stafford being his residence he thence assumed that surname.
He received Stafford Castle in England from William the Conqueror, and became the ancestor of the Stafford family (he must have stood very high with William, as he owned 81 manors of Stafford. 26 in Warwick and others, amounting to 131 in all) (Kin of Mellcene Thurman Smith, page 608)
Robert de Todeni, or Toeny, is the earliest known ancestor of the Surety, William d'Albini. "Of this Robert," wrote Dugdale, "I have not seen any other memorial than that the coucher book of Belvoir recordeth that bearing a venerable esteem to our some time much celebrated proto martyr, Saint Alban. He founded near his castle a priory for monks and annexed it as a cell to that great abbey in Hertfordshire, formerly erected by the devout King Offa in the honour of that most holy man." Robert de Todenei, the 1st feudal lord, or baron, by tenure of Belvoir Castle died in 1088, leaving by his wife Adela five children, of whom the eldest son and heir was William de Albini, called Brito. (Kin of Mellcene Thurman Smith, page 758)
ROBERT DE TODENI, a noble Norman, upon whom the Conqueror bestowed the lordship of Belvoir in Lincolnshire, where he built that famous castle, the chief seat of his barony, died 1088; married Adela. (Fenwick Allied Ancestry, page 111)
Robert de Stafford (Robert de Toeni) (c.1036 - 1088) was a Norman nobleman, the builder of Stafford Castle in England. He held a large number of lordships in the Domesday Survey, a high proportion lying in Staffordshire. They included Barlaston, and Bradley. He is buried in Evesham Abbey, He was son of Roger II de Tosny, and so brother of Raoul III de Conches.
He married Adelisa de Savona, with whom he had a daughter Adelisa de Tosny, who married Roger Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk. He then married Avice de Clare, with whom he had 3 sons. (Wikipedia.)
Adelize de Clare
F, b. 1053, d. 1138
- Birth: Adelize de Clare was born in 1053 in Normandy, France.
- Death: She died in 1138, at age ~85.
M, b. circa 1184, d. September 1274
- Birth: Thomas Corbet was born circa 1184 in Corbet, Shropshire, England.
- Death: He died in September 1274 in Shewsbury, England.
Isabel of Valletort
F, b. circa 1191
- Birth: Isabel of Valletort was born circa 1191 in Haberton, Devon, England.
M, b. circa 1151, d. 1222
- Birth: Robert Corbet was born circa 1151 in Pontesbury, Shropshire, England.
- Death: He died in 1222 in Castle Caus, Westbury, Shropshire, England.
Emma of Pantolph
F, b. circa 1169, d. 1227
- Birth: Emma of Pantolph was born circa 1169 in Shropshire, England.
- Death: She died in 1227.
M, b. 1125, d. 1165
- Birth: Simon Corbet was born in 1125 in Pontesbury, Shropshire, England.
- Death: He died in 1165, at age ~40.
M, b. circa 1100
- Birth: Simon Corbet was born circa 1100 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
Roger of Valletort
M, b. 1165
Family: Alesia (b. circa 1165)
- Birth: Roger of Valletort was born in 1165 in Trematon Castle, Saltash, Cornwall, England.
F, b. circa 1165
- Birth: Alesia was born circa 1165.
Ralph Bassett, V
M, b. circa 1242, d. December 31, 1299
- Birth: Ralph Bassett, V, was born circa 1242 in Drayton, Staffordshire, England.
- Death: He died on December 31, 1299 in Drayton, Staffordshire, England.
Hawise de Grey
F, b. circa 1239
- Birth: Hawise de Grey was born circa 1239 in Drayton, Staffordshire, England.
John De Grey
M, b. circa 1205, d. March 1265
- Birth: John De Grey was born circa 1205.
- Death: He died in March 1265.
- Note: Justice of Chester
SIR JOHN DE GREY, His second son held the office of Sheriff for the counties of Buckingham and Bedford (1233) Made an expedition into Flanders with King Henry III in 1241. In 1252, he was appointed governor of Northampton Castle and the nest year was made Stewart of all Gascony. Four years later he was nominated to the governorship of Shrewsbury Castle, and constable of that of Dover. In 1262 he was Sheriff of Herefordshire and governor of Hereford Castle. The next year he had custody of all the lands of Anker de Frescheville, in the counties of Nottingham and Derby. He was appointed Sheriff of Nottingham and Derby. He died in 1265 and was succeeded by his son, Reginald. (Tracy Winslow Families, page 42.)
Emma de Cauz
F, b. circa 1212
- Birth: Emma de Cauz was born circa 1212.
Henry de Grey
M, b. circa 1161, d. 1219
- Birth: Henry de Grey was born circa 1161 in Codner, Derbshire, England.
- Death: He died in 1219.
- Note: Sir Henry de Gray was in great favor with Richard I, Coeur de Lion, as is manifested from the grant which that prince made to him of the Manor of Turrock, or Turroc, in Essex, afterwards called Thurrock Grey; whereof also he had a confirmation by King John, with whom he continued in great estimation. In the 8th of Richard I, William de Brewere, Sheriff, gave account of 100s of Henry de Grey scutage for five knights' fees, because he was in the King's service beyond the sea. In 13th of King John, Henry de Grey held six knights' fees of the honour of Peveral. In 1st of Henry III he had a grant of the Manor of Grimstone, County Notts, from Robert Bardolph, for his support in the King's service. This Robert Bardolph died 9th of Henry I (1225), when the said Henry de Gray married Isolda, daughter of Hugh, and niece and heir of the said Robert, brother of Hugh, shared with Maud Bardolph and others. all the lands of said Robert. They had six sons: Richard, whose principal seat was at Codnor, County Derby; John, Justice of Chester; William; Walter, Archbishop of York, and Henry. (Kin of Mellcene Thurman Smith, page 670)
HENRY DE GREY. The manor of Thurrock, in the Co. of Essex, was conferred upon thid Henry de Grey by King Richard I, in the sixth year of his reign (1194). The grant was afterwards confirmed by King John, who vouchsafed, by special charter, to permit said Henry de Grey to hunt the hare and fox in any land belonging to the crown, save the king's own demesne parks. In 1216 King Henry III gave him the manor or Grimston in the o. of Nottingham. Married Isolda, neice and heiress of Robert Barnolf, and shared in the inheritance of his land. (Tracy Winslow Families, page 42.)
F, b. circa 1161
- Birth: Isolda Bardolf was born circa 1161.
John de Grey
M, b. circa 1135
- Birth: John de Grey was born circa 1135.
Elena de Clare
F, b. circa 1135
- Birth: Elena de Clare was born circa 1135.
Anchitel de Grey
M, b. circa 1110
- Birth: Anchitel de Grey was born circa 1110.