Mark M Grafmeier
M, b. July 5, 1917, d. May 3, 2015
- Birth: Mark M Grafmeier was born on July 5, 1917 in Kaukauna, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: He and Dorothy Davis were married.
- Death: Mark M Grafmeier died on May 3, 2015, at age 97, in DePere, Brown Co, Wisconsin.
- Note: Mark M. Grafmeier, 97, De Pere, passed away peacefully at home on Sunday morning, May 3, 2015. The son of the late John and Margaret "Maggie" (Klein) Grafmeier was born on July 5, 1917 in Kaukauna, WI. One of Mark's early jobs was that of a milkman, delivering the milk with a team of horses. This started a lifelong love of horses that would always be with him. He especially enjoyed horse pulling, and was a judge of equine events. As a young man, Mark joined the US Navy, and was recruited as a Sea Bee, operating heavy equipment and helping to make military runways. He also was employed by the United Auto Workers as a Union Organizer which sent him to Lower Michigan. Upon his return to Wisconsin, Mark was employed by Brown County Highway Department as a heavy machinery operator until his retirement. In his retirement, he spent time in Florida, watching horse events and going to breakfasts with his friends, and enjoyed an occasional steak dinner with family.
Mark is survived by Dorothy "Sis" Grafmeier; two daughters, Karen Stuyvenberg, Kimberly, WI; Gail "Gigi" Bailey-Rahmlow (Bob Rahmlow), Maribel, WI; nine grandchildren; 28 great grandchildren; sister-in-law, Harriet Smits; nieces, nephews, other relatives, and friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Lorraine Grafmeier; son-in-law, Gerald "Jerry" Stuyvenberg; a great granddaughter, Jenna; two brothers, Karl and Jack; as well as sisters-in-law, Ida and Betty.
Friends and family are encouraged to gather at RYAN FUNERAL HOME, 305 North Tenth Street, De Pere, WI on Wednesday, May 6, 2015 beginning at 3:00pm. A funeral service will follow at 6:00pm with Deacon Mike Vander Bloomen officiating. Please visit www.ryanfh.com to send online condolences to the family.
- Descendant of an Immigrant on: America
John Ervin Garvey
M, b. September 19, 1888, d. December 24, 1973
Family: Margaret Nies (b. January 17, 1904, d. December 26, 1983)
- Birth: John Ervin Garvey was born on September 19, 1888 in Freedom, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Death: He died on December 24, 1973, at age 85.
- Burial: He was buried in St Mary Cemetery, Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
F, b. January 17, 1904, d. December 26, 1983
- Birth: Margaret Nies was born on January 17, 1904.
- Death: She died on December 26, 1983, at age 79, in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Burial: She was buried in St Mary Cemetery, Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
Mary Rose Garvey
F, b. March 12, 1932, d. August 28, 2005
- Birth: Mary Rose Garvey was born on March 12, 1932 in Freedom, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: She was married on September 7, 1950 in St Nicholas Church, Freedom, Wisconsin.
- Death: She died on August 28, 2005, at age 73.
- Note: Source: Appleton Post Crescent Obituary
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Hopfensperger, Mary Rose
Mary Rose Ellen (Garvey) Hopfensperger breathes easily today. At the age of 73, the longtime Midland, MI resident passed away Sunday, August 28, 2005, at home with family hovering about.
She was born at the family farm house in Freedom, WI, on March 12, 1932, the younger daughter of John E. and Margaret (Nies) Garvey. The valedictorian of Freedom High School’s class of 1950, which graduated 19 students, married James F. Hopfensperger on September 7, 1950, at St. Nicholas Church in Freedom, WI. The couple moved to Midland, MI in 1954 when Jim accepted a teaching position with the Midland Public Schools.
Mary Rose worked from home running a household of ten children and returned to college as a mother of nine, earning a bachelor’s degree in education from Central Michigan University. She was also the co-owner and backbone of the family’s business, Hopfensperger Art Studios. An active member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, Queen of Angels Fraternity of the Secular Franciscans, and various other church and community organizations, Mary Rose was a devoted friend and always ready to lend a hand when a task needed to be done. She was happiest when helping others.
She had a smile that could light up a room and a voice that sung like a bird. Her laughter, especially in conjunction with that of her sister Ellen, was incredibly contagious.
James F Hopfensperger
John James Hopfensperger
Joan Marie Hopfensperger
James A Hopfensperger
M, b. February 3, 1922, d. November 18, 1986
- Father: John F Dolan (b. March 31, 1888, d. December 16, 1969)
- Mother: Ellen Ryan (b. February 7, 1891, d. May 28, 1975)
- Birth: John Dolan was born on February 3, 1922 in Town of Kaukauna, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: He and Evelyn DeGroot were married on February 12, 1942.
- Death: John Dolan died on November 18, 1986, at age 64, in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Burial: He was buried in St Patrick Cemetery, Stephensville (Northport), Wisconsin.
F, b. December 16, 1921, d. February 7, 2014
Family: John Dolan (b. February 3, 1922, d. November 18, 1986)
St John High School Yearbook 1939
- Birth: Evelyn DeGroot was born on December 16, 1921 in Wausaukee, Marinette Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: She and John Dolan were married on February 12, 1942.
- Death: Evelyn DeGroot died on February 7, 2014, at age 92.
- Burial: She was buried in St Patrick Cemetery, Stephensville (Northport), Wisconsin.
- Note: Evelyn A. Dolan
Evelyn Dolan, of Kaukauna, passed away February 7, 2014, after 92 amazing years. Her family was at her side to comfort her two days after she suffered a stroke. Ev was born in Wausaukee, WI on December 16, 1921 to Nellie and James DeGroot. Her family eventually moved to Kimberly and then Little Chute where Ev graduated from St John's High School. After graduation she worked for a time at a law office and Kimberly Clark.
On February 12, 1942, Ev married Jack Dolan (who preceded her in death in 1986). For the next 27 years she was Jack's partner in hard work at the family farm on Farrell Rd. There she raised and nurtured 7 children along with milking, field work, housekeeping, constant cooking, and managing finances--a true multi-tasker. Yet she still found time for the Honeycomb Homemakers' Club, leading the Nitengale 4-H Club, vegetable gardening, and remodeling the old farmhouse. She was a great cook who took pride in her delicious baked goods and putting on elaborate feasts for company and work crews.
In 1969 the farm was sold and Ev moved to Desnoyer St. in Kaukauna. She began a new career as photo finisher/inspector at Pechman Studios. Eventually she found the strength to carve a new life and home for herself as an independent woman and single parent.
After retiring in 1987, Ev finally found time for enjoying new adventures, hobbies, and her grandchildren. She travelled the country from New England to California to Disney World. She took up golf, bowling, birdwatching and card playing--staying fit with regular swim exercise & walking. She volunteered for everything, from the Food Pantry to being a poll worker. When taking care of her house became too much like the old farm chores, Ev became one of the very first residents at Canal Place Senior Housing. There she led an active social life with an open door policy among her close friends & confidants, playing cards and enjoying life on the Fox River. After she could no longer drive herself, she liked nothing better than going with friends and family for a quick "bite to eat" and drives through the countryside.
Throughout her long life, Ev was totally devoted to her faith. She was an active member of Holy Cross Church for over 70 years, sang in the Church choir, helped prepare countless Church luncheons and was Treasurer of the Ladies of Holy Cross. She attended Mass regularly until the past few months, but continued her daily prayers and reflections to her last day.
Evelyn was preceded in death by her parents, Jack & his parents, daughter Mary (VanderHeiden) Skop, and son Mike Dolan. Also her sisters Eunice DeGroot, Gerry Berg & her husband Carl, brother Clayton DeGroot & his wife Jeanette, son-in-law Ron Granger, and brother-in-law Jerome Berg.
Surviving Ev are her children & their spouses James (Donna) Dolan, Colleen Granger, Dennis (Trudy) Dolan, Tom (Patti) Dolan, Tim (Wanda) Dolan and Daughter-in -law Carla Dolan. Also her dear sisters, Leone Berg and Helen DeGroot and her Grandchildren, Brian (Maureen) Granger, Kelly (Paul) Wenzel, Scott VanderHeiden, Chris (Andrew) Utrie, Michelle (Bob) Holloway, Kerry (John) Wolcott, Joe (Marie)Vandenberg, Derek (January) Dolan, Katie Eickermann, Matthew (Krista) Dolan, Tyler Dolan, Brandon Dolan and Trevor Dolan--along with 14 Great Grandchildren and many dear nieces & nephews--and Jean VanderHeiden who visited Grandma so often.
Visitation for Evelyn will be held at Holy Cross Church, 309 Desnoyer St, Kaukauna, on Saturday, February 15, from 10am to noon. Mass will follow at 12:15pm with lunch in the church basement after Mass. Future interment will be at St Patrick Cemetery in Snyderville. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund will be established. Please share any on-line condolences or memories through the Post-Crescent website or at boettcherfamilyfuneral.com.
Evelyn Dolan was a kind, gentle, strong & admired woman--with a truly great soul. Poet Maya Angelou says "A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again". We all know that Ev will live on as the "Great Soul" of the Dolan and DeGroot families.
- Graduation: She graduated from St John High School, Little Chute, in 1939.
Mary Katherine Dolan
F, b. January 8, 1946, d. August 30, 2005
- Father: John Dolan (b. February 3, 1922, d. November 18, 1986)
- Mother: Evelyn DeGroot (b. December 16, 1921, d. February 7, 2014)
- Birth: Mary Katherine Dolan was born on January 8, 1946 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Death: She died on August 30, 2005, at age 59.
- Burial: She was buried in St Patrick Cemetery, Stephensville (Northport), Wisconsin.