F, b. circa 704
- Birth: Williswinda was born circa 704 in Austrasia, France.
M, b. circa 680
- Birth: Alleaume was born circa 680 in France.
Ranulf Viscount De Macon
M, b. circa 850
- Birth: Ranulf Viscount De Macon was born circa 850 in France.
Gislebert Duke Of Burgundy
M, b. circa 890, d. April 8, 956
- Birth: Gislebert Duke Of Burgundy was born circa 890 in Bourgogne, Marne, Champagne-Ardenne, France.
- Death: He died on April 8, 956.
- Note: The "Dictionary of Royal Lineage" styles him Count of Chalon from 919 and Duke and Count of Burgundy 923-936.
Ermengar Of Burgundy
F, b. circa 893
- Birth: Ermengar Of Burgundy was born circa 893 in France.
- Note: Weis' "Ancestral Roots. . ." (118:19), identifies her as husband of ROBERT, but does not give her parents.
Stuart's "Royalty for Commoners" (258:37), calls her "prob. dau. of Eliram and sister of Raoul II, Count of Dijon."
Moriarty, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 10 says: "Ermengard is usually called a daughter of Richard the Judiciar, duke of Burgundy, but Chaume shows that there is no evidence for this and that she is probably a sister of Raoul II Count of Dijon."
Matman posted to soc.genealogy.medieval on10 Apr 1997: Subject: Re: Hugh the Black "Gerald Blanchard wrote: "Pere Anselm shows Hugh the Black, Duke of Normandy [sic - Burgundy] d.952, as the son of Richard the Justicier d.921. Ermengarde, is shown as a daughter of Richard and that she married Gilbert, Count of Chalon, Autun & de Beaune. Brian Tompsett's page shows Gilbert's wife as "daughter of Burgundy" whose father was Hugh the Black. Where does Ermengarde actually fit in to this? Jerry" [the reply follows] : "daughter of Burgundy! I guess something got left out there, perhaps deliberately, as there seem to be a number of views on Ermengarde's parentage. Here are a few i've collated: Dunbabin (France in the Making 843-1180), p65, says Gilbert (other sources use Giselbert etc) was the son in law of Hugo, but doesn't name the daughter he married. Their daughter Lietaud married Otto/Odo (d.965) brother of Hugh Capet. Mckitterick (the Frankish Kingdoms under the Carolingians, 1983) in one of the genealogical charts has Ermengarde dau of Richard le Justiciar, married to Gilbert. Europaisches Stammtafeln, III, 189 mentions no daughters of Richard le J, or Hugh the Black. It has Gilbert's father, Manasses as a nephew of R le J (which is surely wrong, as they were contempories) and credits Giselbert with a daughter Adelaide, who married 3 times: 1) Robert of Meaux and Troyes, son of Heribert II of Vermandois 2). Lambert of Chalon, d.979 3.) Geoffrey I of Anjou, d.987 ES II, 11 says however, that Lietaud, wife of Odo/Otto, above, was the daughter of Gilbert and Ermengarde. I suspect that the reason for this confusion, is because different theories exist among the French historians who did the initial research. I think the oldest view (dating from the 17th century! by Duchesne, l'origine de la maison de Vergy, etc) was that Gilbert had married a dau. of Richard. But this century some have made him marry a dau of Hugo (P.Lauer, le regne de Raoul et Loius IV, 1900, I think is the title). There are some more up to date studies on Burgundy by Constance Bouchard, but I havn't looked at them yet. There's also a book on the duchy of Burgundy by a French abbot, Maurice Chaume, which goes into huge detail on this. I expect there are other theories on this descent as well."
Monassas I Count De Chalons
M, b. circa 865, d. October 31, 920
- Birth: Monassas I Count De Chalons was born circa 865 in Bourgogne, Marne, Champagne-Ardenne, France.
- Death: He died on October 31, 920.
- Note: ES ii, 189 [rev. in iii(1)], shows Ermengarde's husband, Giselbert, Duke of Burgundy, as son of Manasses, as son of an unnamed daughter of Buvinus, Count of Metz.
Stuart's "Royalty for Commoners" (258:38), calls him Count of Chalons-sur -Seine, of Vergy, Auxonne, Dijon, and Baune.
Ermengarde Princess Of Burgundy
F, b. circa 869, d. 935
- Birth: Ermengarde Princess Of Burgundy was born circa 869 in Bourgogne, Marne, Champagne-Ardenne, France.
- Death: She died in 935.
- Note: Stuart's "Royalty for Commoners" (258:38) identifies the wife of MANASSES and mother of GISELBERT as "Ermengarde, princess of Burgundy; d. 12 Apr 935; prob. dau. of BOSO, KING OF BURGUNDY [sic. KING OF PROVENCE (RIN 2137)]."
Matman posted to soc.genealogy.medieval on 20 May 1997 (in part): Subject: Re: Wife of Manassas I, C. of Chalon "Giselbert appears with his mother Ermengarde (I) in a charter of 924. I don't think she died in 935, but she was dead by then. Some of the confusion undoubtedly comes from the fact that GISELBERTs wife was also called ERMENGARDE (II) in a charter of 942, which also names their daughter ADELAIDE. No document or source says who the fathers of these different Ermengarde's were. But some have speculated that the name Ermengarde was introduced into these families by the marriage of BOSO to ERMENGARDE OF ITALY [RIN 2138] (dau. of LOUIS II [RIN2139], whose mum was ERMENGARDE d.851). Thus some see Ermengarde (I) as a dau of BOSO OF PROVENCE (d.887), therefore grand-dau of BUVINUS COUNT OF METZ [RIN 4258] (and I think this theory can be found somewhere in the ES). A old view was that Ermengarde (II) was the daughter of RICHARD THE JUSTICIAR [RIN 1238] (d.921) brother of BOSO: this was followed by Mckitterick in her book on the Carolingians (1983). But there have been other theories as well. The ES is not much help on this as it tends to plonk the various (often contradictory) theories down in different volumes, without any explanation. I wonder what Settipani says? I think some have noted that there is yet another Ermengarde (III) who appears as the first wife of Leotold of Macon and Besancon in the charter of 935 (Cluny 432): she was a daughter of Manasses I and sister of GISELBERT (C.Bouchard 'Sword and Mitre')."
Thierry II Count De Chalons
M, b. circa 840, d. 880
- Birth: Thierry II Count De Chalons was born circa 840.
- Death: He died in 880.
- Note: Stuart's "Royalty for Commoners" (258:39), calls him Count of Chaunois.
"Alan B. Wilson" posted to soc.genealogy.medieval on 17 May (in part): Subject: Re: Burgundy - One more try to sum up * " According to Schwennicke (ed.), Europaische Stammtafeln, ii, 189 [rev. in iii(1)], Manasses, the father of Giselbert, Duke of Burgundy, was son of (not husband of) an unknown daughter of Budwine, Count of Metz. Moriarty in Plantagenet Ancestry, pp. 255 and 257 mentions very speculatively that it has been suggested that Manasses was the son of Thierry II, Count in the Chaunois. Stuart in Royalty for Commoners, line 258, seems to have put these two together and married Thierry II to the unnamed daughter of Budwine. This couple is given as the parents of Manasses."
Helped to negotiate the Treaty of Aix-La-Chapelle.
Thierry IV Count Of Autun
M, b. circa 713, d. February 746
- Birth: Thierry IV Count Of Autun was born circa 713 in Chelles, Seine-et-Marne, France.
- Death: He died in February 746.
Aude Of Franks
F, b. circa 723, d. circa 770
- Birth: Aude Of Franks was born circa 723 in Austrasia, France.
- Death: She died circa 770.
Richard 'The Justiciar' Duke Of Burgundy
M, b. 867, d. September 1, 921
- Birth: Richard 'The Justiciar' Duke Of Burgundy was born in 867 in France.
- Death: He died on September 1, 921, at age ~54.
Adelheid Princess Of Burgundy
F, b. 872, d. 921
- Birth: Adelheid Princess Of Burgundy was born in 872 in France.
- Death: She died in 921, at age ~49.
Conrad II Count Of Auxerre
M, b. 825, d. 887
- Birth: Conrad II Count Of Auxerre was born in 825 in Burgundy, France.
- Death: He died in 887, at age ~62.
Ermentrude Countess Of Auxerre
F, b. circa 830
- Birth: Ermentrude Countess Of Auxerre was born circa 830 in Burgundy, France.
Conrad I Count Auxerre
M, b. 800, d. February 16, 862
- Birth: Conrad I Count Auxerre was born in 800 in Altdorf, Mittelfranken, Bavaria, Germany.
- Death: He died on February 16, 862, at age ~62.
Adela Of Tours
F, b. circa 805
- Birth: Adela Of Tours was born circa 805 in Tours, Touraine, Indre-Et-Loire, France.
M, b. 797
- Birth: Luitfried was born in 797 in France.
Renaud De Roucy
M, b. circa 931, d. March 15, 972
- Birth: Renaud De Roucy was born circa 931 in Reims, Marne, France.
- Death: He died on March 15, 972.
Alberade Of Lorraine
F, b. circa 930, d. March 15, 972
- Birth: Alberade Of Lorraine was born circa 930 in Lorraine, France.
- Death: She died on March 15, 972.
Gilbert Duke Of Lorraine
M, b. 920, d. October 2, 939
- Birth: Gilbert Duke Of Lorraine was born in 920 in Reims, Marne, France.
- Death: He died on October 2, 939, at age ~19, in Andernach, Rhineland, Prussia.
Gerberge Queen Of Franks
F, b. 913, d. May 5, 984
- Birth: Gerberge Queen Of Franks was born in 913 in Nordhausen, Saxony, Prussia.
- Death: She died on May 5, 984, at age ~71, in Reims, Marne, France.
- Occupation: She was an Abbess.
Rainer Duke Of Lorraine
M, b. circa 850, d. January 19, 915
- Birth: Rainer Duke Of Lorraine was born circa 850 in France.
- Death: He died on January 19, 915.
Hersent Of Franks
F, b. 865
- Birth: Hersent Of Franks was born in 865 in Lorraine, France.
Giselbert Count Of Moselle
M, b. circa 830, d. June 14, 877
- Birth: Giselbert Count Of Moselle was born circa 830 in France.
- Marriage: He and Ermengarde Duchess Of Moselle were married in 846.
- Death: Giselbert Count Of Moselle died on June 14, 877 in Reims, Marne, France.
Ermengarde Duchess Of Moselle
F, b. circa 832
- Birth: Ermengarde Duchess Of Moselle was born circa 832 in Alsace-Lorraine, France.
- Marriage: She and Giselbert Count Of Moselle were married in 846.