F, b. May 3, 1905, d. January 25, 2000
- Birth: Judy Benishek was born on May 3, 1905 in Deerbrook, Langlade Co, Wisconsin.
- Death: She died on January 25, 2000, at age 94, in Neenah, Winnebago Co, Wisconsin.
- Burial: She was buried in St Margaret Mary Cemetery, Neenah, Wisconsin.
- Note: SOURCE: APPLETON POST CRESCENT OBITUARY Born: May 3, 1905 Died: January 25, 2000
Judy Hopfensperger, Neenah, age 94, died Tuesday, January 25, 2000, at Pleasant Acres Nursing Center. She was born May 3, 1905, in Deerbrook, Wisconsin, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Shimek) Benishek. Judy lived in Antigo and New London before moving to the Neenah area in 1942. She retired as a cook for Sunnyview Sanitarium at age 65. She was avid reader, enjoyed knitting, crafts and gardening. Judy was a member of St. Gabriel Catholic Church, Neenah.
Mrs Hopfensperger is survived by two sons and a daughter in-law, Richard W. Brown, Menasha and Mary; William L. (Marlene) Brown, all of Menasha; eight grandchildren; Connie (Charles) Farrey, Susan (Keith) Heling, Cathy Brown, James (Linda) Brown, Todd (Jackie) Brown, Tim Brown, Tammy (John) Van De Loo, Tom (Sarah) Brown; a brother, Raymond Benishek, Antigo; two sisters, Amelia Swager, Pennsylvania; Alice Responi, Antigo.
Judy was preceded in death by her husband, Hubert L. Hopfensperger, August 13, 1998; a son Eugene D. Brown; five brothers, Rudy, Joseph, Edward, Lawrence and Bernard Benishek; three sisters, Clara Benishek, Ella Martiny and Minn Patzer.
Elizabeth Schmidt McCarthy
F, b. June 4, 1923, d. October 29, 2011
- Birth: Lilas Merkes was born on June 4, 1923 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: She and Edward J Heimann were married on October 9, 1943 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: Lilas Merkes and Glenn Peter VanStraten were married on March 27, 1976.
- Death: Lilas Merkes died on October 29, 2011, at age 88, in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Burial: She was buried in St Joseph Cemetery, Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Note: Lilas M. Van Straten (Merkes, Heimann), age 88, passed away peacefully Saturday, October 29, 2011 at Appleton Medical Center, with her family by her side. Lilas was born in Appleton on June 4, 1923, daughter of the late Walter and Della (Nettekoven) Merkes. On October 9, 1943, she married Edward Heimann in Appleton. They shared twenty-four wonderful years together prior to his sudden death in 1967. At that time, she began working for H.C. Prange Company in downtown Appleton. In March of 1976, Lilas married Glen Van Straten; Glen preceded her in death in 1993. For many years, Lilas was a member of St. Therese Catholic Church in Appleton where she belonged to the Christian Mothers' Society. Most recently she had been a member of St. Pius X Catholic Church.
Mom was a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother who devoted her life to her family. She was an exceptional homemaker and cook and enjoyed spending time at home with family for birthdays and special Christmas gatherings, playing cards, sharing kitchen tips and recipes, long walks, reading, flowers, and vacations in northern Wisconsin and in Gulf Shores, Alabama. She loved children, and enjoyed doing special little things for them. Lilas had a way of brightening everyone's day, putting a smile on their face, and putting her family and friends first in her life. During Glen's illness, she devoted her days to caring for him during his stay in the nursing home. Lilas will be remembered as a faith-filled woman, who, throughout life's difficulties, never lost her faith in God.
Lilas is survived by two children: Robert (Rene') Heimann and Jeanne (Jay) Van Geffen, all of Appleton; four grandchildren: Matthew (Vicky) Heimann, John (Jenny) Heimann, Lisa Van Geffen and her fiancé' Kyle Larson, and Laura Van Geffen; two great-grandchildren: Ashton and Makayla; a sister: Joyce (Robert) Van Fossen of Appleton; a brother: James (Mary) Merkes of Appleton; three sisters-in-law: Gladys Heimann of Appleton; Ann Merkes of Appleton; and Carmen Merkes of Shiocton. She also leaves behind her step-children from her marriage to Glen: James (Pat) Van Straten of San Antonio, Texas; Joan (Rodger) Laffey-Roloff of Stoughton; Donna (James) Remmert of Boulder, Colorado; Bonnie Babcock of Eagan, Minnesota; Patricia Eick of Mosinee; Marie (Frank) Walsh of Boulder, Colorado; and Terry (Vicki) Van Straten of Merrill. There are also many step-grandchildren and step-great-grandchildren. Lilas was preceded in death by her parents, her husbands Edward and Glen, an infant daughter Judy Heimann in 1951; a son William Heimann in 1976; a sister Jane Merkes; brothers Kenneth Merkes, Norbert Merkes, and Richard (Carol) Merkes; and step-sons-in-law: James Laffey, James Babcock and James Eick.
The funeral liturgy for Lilas will be held at 11:30 AM on Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at ST. PIUS X CATHOLIC CHURCH, 500 W. Marquette Street in Appleton, with Fr. Thomas Farrell officiating. Interment will be in St. Joseph Cemetery. Friends may call directly at the church on Wednesday morning from 9:00 AM until the hour of the service.
Our hearts are heavy with sadness today, for we'll miss your kind and loving ways of helping us through all of life's trials and brightening our days with your smiles. Your kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids too, mean everything to you and you kept all of our pictures right in your view. Now we will frame your picture in our mind, to cherish and love 'till the end of time. Rest in peace, Grandma, we love you.
The family would like to extend a special thank you to the doctors and nurses in the ICU at Appleton Medical Center for their care and support. Wichmann Funeral Home
537 N. Superior Street
Online condolences www.wichmannfargo.com
Published in Appleton Post-Crescent on November 1, 2011.
Kenneth C Merkes
M, b. October 23, 1921, d. February 7, 2006
- Birth: Kenneth C Merkes was born on October 23, 1921 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: He was married on November 17, 1943 in Holy Name Church, Kimberly, Wisconsin.
- Death: He died on February 7, 2006, at age 84.
- Burial: He was buried in St Joseph Cemetery, Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Note: February 9, 2006
Merkes, Kenneth C. Kenneth Merkes, age 84, passed away at his home on Tuesday, February 7, 2006, with his family at his side. Kenneth was born on October 23, 1921, in Appleton, to the late Walter and Della (Nettekoven) Merkes. He entered the United States Army on December 7, 1942, and proudly served his country in Europe in the 94th Division, 301st Field Artillery, Battery A. On November 17, 1943, he was united in marriage to Anna Cappaert at Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church in Kimberly, Wisconsin. Kenneth enjoyed spending time with his family, gardening, playing cards and fishing. He lived his life as an example that his children and grandchildren will try hard to follow. Kenneth worked for George Walter Brewing Company for over 26 years, later at Baer Beverage and retired from Lawrence University in 1983. He was a longtime member of Little Chute Jacob Coppus Post #258 of the American Legion. Ken is survived by his loving wife of 62 years, Anna (Cappaert), Grand Chute; and their six children: Jane Gahr, Appleton; Tom (Marilyn) Merkes, Grand Chute; Peg Ulman, Grand Chute; Cindy (Larry) LeClair, Little Chute; Chuck (Kathy) Merkes, Grand Chute; Joe Merkes, Appleton; his nine grandchildren: Scott (Kay) Gahr; Jeff (Anne) Gahr; Dawn (Chad) Hanneman; Jenny (Aaron) Smith; Brian Ulman; Judy (Andy) Hintz; Tyler, Kurt and Kadin Merkes; and his six great-grandchildren. He is further survived by his brother and sisters: Lilas Van Straten, Appleton; Joyce (Bob) Van Fossen, Appleton; Jim (Mary) Merkes, Grand Chute; and his sister-in-law, Carmen Merkes, Shiocton; and many nieces and nephews and their families. He was preceded in death by his in-laws: Albert and Madeline (Van Eynde) Cappaert; his sister, Jane Merkes; his brothers: Norbert Merkes and Dick (Carol) Merkes; brother-in-law, Glen Van Straten; his brother-in-law, Joseph (Leone) Cappaert; and son-in-law, Glen Ulman. Ken's family would like to extend a sincere thank you to the staff at Fresenius Dialysis Center for their compassionate care during these past five years. The Funeral Liturgy will be at 11 a.m. on Saturday, February 11, 2006, at ST. PIUS X CATHOLIC CHURCH, 500 West Marquette Street, Appleton, with Fr. Tom Farrell officiating. Friends may call directly at the church on Saturday from 9 a.m. until the time of services. Interment will be in St. Joseph Cemetery, Appleton. A memorial has been established in his name. WICHMANN FUNERAL HOME 537 North Superior Street Appleton 920-739-1231 www.wichmannfuneralhomes.com WE LOVE AND MISS YOU.
Richard J Merkes
M, b. May 21, 1930, d. March 1, 1993
- Birth: Richard J Merkes was born on May 21, 1930 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: He and Carol A DeLain were married on June 15, 1950 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Death: Richard J Merkes died on March 1, 1993, at age 62, in Madison, Dane Co, Wisconsin.
- Burial: He was buried in St Mary Cemetery, Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
Norbert A Merkes
M, b. May 8, 1927, d. April 30, 1993
- Birth: Norbert A Merkes was born on May 8, 1927 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: He was married on May 7, 1949.
- Death: He died on April 30, 1993, at age 65, in Shiocton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
F, b. October 4, 1924, d. September 6, 1928
- Birth: Jane Merkes was born on October 4, 1924.
- Death: She died on September 6, 1928, at age 3.
Mary Ellen Baldwin
Thomas Gerald Baldwin
M, b. September 28, 1944, d. December 24, 2013
- Birth: Thomas Gerald Baldwin was born on September 28, 1944 in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Marriage: He was married on June 13, 1970 in St Mary Church, Menasha, Wisconsin.
- Death: He died on December 24, 2013, at age 69.
- Burial: He was buried in St Mary Cemetery, Menasha, Wisconsin.
- Note: Thomas "Tommy" Gerald Baldwin, age 69, loving husband, father, grandfather and friend to many, passed away unexpectedly at Appleton Medical Center on December 24, 2013 with his family present. Tom was born in Appleton on September 28, 1944 to Lorraine (Nettekoven) and Evan Baldwin.
Tom grew up in Menasha, attending St. Mary's schools. After graduation, Tom honorably served his country in the United States Navy with his best friend Dick Swoboda. After serving in the Navy for over 4 years, Tom returned back home and went to work for Banta. He worked mainly in the pre-press area for over 20 years before transitioning to Outlook Graphics. Tom retired from Outlook Graphics as the Pre-Press Manager in 2002.
He married Jackie Wassenberg on June 13, 1970 at St. Mary Catholic Church in Menasha. While sharing many wonderful times and memories together, they also shared the same birthday.
They lived in Appleton and developed long lasting friendships with neighbors on Matthias Street. Tom and Jackie enjoyed traveling with best friends Dick and Esther Christian, Friday evening fish with family and friends, and watching his children and his grandchildren participate in various events and sporting activities.
Tom enjoyed working out with friends at Lake Park Fitness several times a week. He especially enjoyed the get-togethers after swimming with his friends. He was an active member of the Sherwood American Legion Post 496. He was a previous Finance Committee member of the St. John/Sacred Heart parishes and assisted several years in preparing the parish picture directories.
Tom wanted to build a home on the water or on a golf course; he and Jackie chose Sherwood Forest Golf Course and built their current home in 1995.
Left to cherish his memory is his wife of 43 years, Jackie; a daughter, Laurie (fiancé Sean McElrath) Baldwin and her daughter, Alyssa (18) (his best buddy) and Sean's daughters: Kathryn and Morgan; a son, Brian (Sarah) Baldwin and their six boys, Bryce (15), Trent (12), Tyson (10), Luke (8), Adam (6), and Brock (4).
He is also survived by his sister, Mary (Duane) Richards; a brother, Bob (Barb) Baldwin; sisters-in-laws and brothers-in-laws: Kim (Steve) Bonneville, Ginny (Dale) Frank, Cindy (Norm) Thiel and Ray Vanden Boogart; along with many special nieces and nephews: Stacy (Scott) Milligan, Mark (Blondine) Baldwin, and Scott Baldwin.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his father-in-law and mother-in-law: Robert and Jean Puddy; and a sister-in-law, Susie Vanden Boogart.
A Funeral Mass will be held at 11:30 am on Friday, December 27, 2013, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, N361 Military Road in Sherwood, with Fr. Mike Betley officiating. Military Rites will be conducted following the Mass by American Legion Post 496. Visitation will be held from 9:30 am until the hour of the Mass at the church. Interment will take place in St. Mary Cemetery in the Town of Menasha. In lieu of flowers, a memorial will be established.
The family would like to extend a special "Thank You" to the Town of Harrison First Responders, the staff of AMC ER and ICU for the care and dignity shown to Tom and his family. And also a special thank you to Fr. Mike Betley for his visits and spiritual guidance.
Robert George Baldwin
F, b. November 9, 1903, d. June 10, 1989
- Birth: Ellyn Acker was born on November 9, 1903 in Neenah, Winnebago Co, Wisconsin.
- Death: She died on June 10, 1989, at age 85.
William G Bayer
M, b. June 3, 1923, d. June 8, 1986
- Birth: William G Bayer was born on June 3, 1923 in Menasha, Winnebago Co, Wisconsin.
- Death: He died on June 8, 1986, at age 63, in Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Burial: He was buried in St Joseph Cemetery, Appleton, Outagamie Co, Wisconsin.
- Note: SOURCE: APPLETON POST CRESCENT OBITUARY
Monday, June 9, 1986
William G. Bayer "Bingo Bill" 1300 S. Mason St., age 63, died at 10:40 a.m. Sunday June 8, 1986 following a lengthy illness. He was born June 3, 1923 in Menasha and was a graduate of St. Mary High School, Menasha. He was a Verteran of World War II, having served in the China-Burma-India Theater for four years. Bill was employed by the Post Crescent in the composing room for the past 35 years until his death. He was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Churchm it's Usher Society and it's Finance Commitee. He was Chairman of the Bingo Program at the parish, and a member of the Order of the Foresters.
He is survived by his wife of 37 years, Vivian (Jerke) Bayer; three daughters and sons in-law; Ann and Gary Hoerning, Kaukauna; Barb and Gary Stadler, Appleton; Trudy and Alan Rougeuz, Neenah; four grandchildren; Eric and Andrea Stadler, Michelle and Bryan Hoering, three brothers and two sisters in-law; Bernard Bayer, Menasha; Leonard and Betty Bayer, Menasha; Cyril Bayer, Minneapolis; Catherine Bayer, Menasha; four sisters and brothers in-law; Charolette and Albert De Wildt, Menasha; Marg and Cy Berg, Kaukauna; Mary and Karl Minkebige, Kaukauna; Betty and Maartin Ebben, Appleton; his father and mother in-law; Harold and Gertrude Jerke, nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; Frank and Lena; his brother, Herbert Bayer, and a sister in-law; Verna Bayer.
The complete funeral will be 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 11, 1986, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 404 W. Lawrence St. with Father Bob Malloy officiating. Interment will be in St. Joseph Cemetery. Friends may call at the Wichmann Funeral Home. 537 N. Superior St. from 4 until 9 p.m. Tuesday and from 8 a.m. Wednesday until the cortege leaves for the church. A prayer and scripture service will be 8 p.m. Tuesday. A memorial fund is being established for the American Cancer Society.
Barbara Ann Bayer
Jerome O Cevene
M, b. March 28, 1919, d. April 6, 1993
- Birth: Jerome O Cevene was born on March 28, 1919.
- Death: He died on April 6, 1993, at age 74, in New York.